Well, it happened. This year I discovered that my body just doesn’t handle the impact of running any longer. I’ve been using Runkeeper to track my running and walking activity since July of 2010. In that time I’ve tracked over 500 runs for a total of 980 miles. It was great fun and good exercise, both mentally and physically. But alas, I just can’t do it regularly any longer. This is yet another example of “If I knew I was going to live this long I’d have taken better care of myself”. My knees just don’t like the rhythmic pounding.
So, what’s the solution? Biking of course! But you wouldn’t expect me to go out and buy just a regular bicycle would you? Nope. I did my research and got myself an e-bike. Yup, a big, honkin’ fat-tire, 72 pound monster that (hacked) can propel my fat ass along at 30 mph.
Himiway Cruiser Tech Specs
- Motor: 750 W geared rear hub motor
- Top speed: 45 km/h (28 mph) after unlocking
- Range: 55-96 km (35-60 mi) depending on user input
- Battery: 48 V 17.5 Ah (840 Wh)
- Weight: 32.6 kg (72 lb)
- Max load: 159 kg (350 lb)
- Frame: 6061 aluminum
- Brakes: Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes on 180 mm rotors
- Tires: 26″ x 4″ Kenda fat tires
- Extras: LCD display with speedometer, wattmeter, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, tripmeter, front and rear LED lights with large headlight, bell in brake lever, 5 PAS speed settings, half-twist throttle, USB charging port, includes rear rack (wooden) and front/rear fenders.
Test ride along the Henry Hudson Trail with photos. Click the ⛶ to enlarge the video, see the photos, and enjoy the ride with me!
So now that I’m riding instead of running I spent some time changing the php code for the Runkeeper API widget on the right sidebar to show only cycling activities. It required creating a separate SQL database and lots of other changes. but it works. Unfortunately we had a blizzard of a snowstorm today so I’ll be postponing my rides until I can dig things out.